Friday, November 1, 2019

Weekly response 11/1/19

Reading through the memoirs of Lynsey Addario has been an extremely eye opening and sobering experience to me. Flipping page after page, reading a story that I found relatable in every shape and form. Two things that made an impression on me is the courage that Lynsey shows throughout the telling of her story. Facing life threatening situations involving the Taliban, is obviously a very scary situation, and is one that should be taken very seriously. I also found something really relatable within her discussing the divorce of her parents. I think a situation like that can effect a person on deep and personal level which I have experienced. I also think her traveling abroad and discovering that photography is a universal art really stood out to me because it reminded me of when I discovered that film can be used on a universal platform to connect and reach people. Lynsey having to sacrifice any real and sustainable human connecting relationship is something she has had to do without due to her work. She needed to climb to this certain point in her profession, and the idea of that sounds like something I wish I could do. I depend a lot on the relationships I have with my friends, family, and people I meet randomly. As much as I would love to say that I could do without all of that, I know I'd be lying to myself.  I think my favorite photo of hers is the one of the African woman with her two children sitting behind a mosquito net. I think this really is an amazing photo because of the lighting and how it's framed. The light coming in through a small slit in the wall, and the frame of the photo capturing the tiny room where they are all confined too. A beautiful quote that Lynsey gives us is "When covering war, there a some days I have boundless courage, and there were days like these in Libya, where I'm terrified from the moment I wake up," (Page 2) I think this is one of my favorite quotes because it shows someone's mindset when they have a career like this. Everyone has days where they don't want to go to work, but very few of us have jobs that will actually put our lives in danger. I think this shows a resilience that rarely is shown by people that don't have to and I find that extremely admirable.

No comments:

Post a Comment